Has been called “the medicine chest of the people”, providing remedies for many common complaints. It is revered by gypsies and is associated with the Jewish Kabbalah. It makes a wonderful addition to your cold, flu, and fever remedies.
PROPERTIES: diuretic, alterative, antiseptic, febrifuge, anti-inflammatory, mild laxative
Elderberry (Sambucus nigra)
· good for colic, diarrhea, rheumatism, coughs and colds
· dries up runny nose and streaming eyes of hay fever
· if taken before the pollen season begins, it can reduce the severity of symptoms of hay fever
· excellent for reducing catarrh and controlling fevers associated with the common cold, sinusitis, flu and bronchitis
· can be more effective for certain cold and flues than echinacea
· has been used successfully for its blood building, cleansing and mild laxative properties to enhance the immune system
· helps balance body temperature by warding off the effects of a chill and also lowering fevers
· soothing to the respiratory tract
SUGGESTED DOSAGE: should be used as directed by a qualified professional practitioner.
Tincture - Spray: 3-6 pumps three times daily.
Extract: ½ tsp 3 times daily
Can be taken more often if needed. Works well with Echinacea (all forms), Respex, Elecampane, Yarrow, and Boneset all associated with relief of the common cold and flu.
CONTRA INDICATIONS: Some people experience nausea if they eat too many raw berries, but cooking renders them safe and still effective.
Please note: This information is compiled from traditional and modern herb books, articles and research. This information is summarized for its educational value and should not be used for the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of disease. It should not be used to replace the services of a qualified practitioner.